Our Chef Zane made an appearance yesterday on KUTV’s Fresh From the Kitchen to show what he will be preparing at the March of Dimes Signature Chefs of Utah Auction on November 5th. Watch the video on KUTV
Cider Braised Pork Shoulder
1 pork shoulder
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ground clove
½ tsp garlic salt
5 bay leaves
2 onions, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
3 apples, green or granny smith, cut into wedges
4 cups apple cider
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 tsp cornstarch
1) Clean pork shoulder of excess fat, rub the shoulder with the spices (pepper, salt, cinnamon, cloves, garlic salt)
2) Heat a thick bottom roasting pan over medium/high heat. Add the oil to the pan, then add the pork and brown on all sides for 3-5 minutes per side.
3) Add the bay leaves, onions, carrots, apples to pan and sauté until onions are softened. Add the cider and the Worcestershire sauce.
4) Place a lid on the pan and place into a pre-heated oven. Cook at 310° for 5 hours.
5) Remove the pork from the pan and pull from the bone, removing the fat.
6) Add cornstarch to the sauce remaining in the pan, place over medium heat and bring the sauce to a simmer.
7) Strain the sauce, adjust seasoning and pour the sauce over the meat.